This guidance is intended to support Oldham based businesses applying to Oldham Council for a grant from the Local Authority Discretionary Grants Fund announced by the Government on 1 May 2020.
This guidance sets out the criteria under which businesses will qualify to make an application to the Local Authority Discretionary Grants Fund, and the evidence required to support an application, and is aligned with the Government guidance issued on 23 May 2020.
This is a new fund and it is aimed at certain small businesses who were not eligible for the Small Business Grant Fund or the Retail, Leisure and Hospitality Fund, and which have relatively high ongoing, fixed property-related costs, and which can demonstrate that they have suffered a significant fall in income due to the COVID-19 crisis.
The amount of funding available to Oldham businesses is limited, therefore, grants will be awarded subject to availability.
The grants will be processed and awarded as part of a phased approach based on Government guidelines and local priorities.
To be eligible for this grant your Business/Charity must:
- Be located in the Borough of Oldham
- Be classified as a small business with
- a turnover of no more than £10.2m per annum
- a Balance Sheet Total of no more than £5.1m
- fewer than 50 employees
- Have a ratable value of £51,000 or less
- Have direct on-going fixed property costs e.g., rent, rates, mortgage payments, utilities and insurance costs.
- Pay rent or mortgage costs of at least £1,200 per annum
- Have been operating on 11 March 2020
- Be able to demonstrate a significant fall in income as a result of Covid 19
You are not eligible for this grant if:
- Your business or charity is eligible for the following support:
- Small Business Rates Relief, Rural Rates Relief or Retail, Leisure and Hospitality cash grants,
- Sector grants including the Dairy Hardship Fund, Fisheries Response Fund, Domestic Seafood Supply Scheme, Zoos Support Fund.
Applications now closed
Due to a high volume of demand the grant is now closed for applications.
Any updates to the scheme will be announced via the Council’s business newsletter.
Sign up for the newsletter by emailing:
How much grant support can businesses/charities access?
Grant awards will typically be £10,000 and below proportionate to fixed property costs.
Businesses/Charities that are charged an annual rent and property related charge of:
- £2,000 or below can access a grant of £2,000.
- between £2,001 to £5,000 can access a grant of £5,000.
- of £5,001 or more can access a grant of £10,000.
Grants will only be awarded subject to eligibility and availability of funding.
Grants will be paid directly into business/charity bank accounts by BACS.
Phase 1 grants will start to be paid no earlier than 15 June 2020.
Subject to availability, Phase 2 grants will be paid no earlier than 21 June 2020.
Successful and rejected applications
Please don’t contact the grant team for updates on your application as this can slow down the application process.
You can track the progress of your application on-line. Details of how to do this will be provided by return email once your application has been successfully submitted.
We aim to process your application as soon as possible and will start to contact businesses from 15 June to inform them of the outcome of their applications.
The decision of the Council is final.
For more information:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 0161 770 2077
Please leave a message including your name and contact details and we will get back to you as soon as possible.