- Oldham Unity
Oldham Baptist Church
Oldham Unity is a group of unpaid, local volunteers and refugees from all faiths and none. Agencies in Oldham need to be aware that we are a small voluntary organisation with limited resources.
The Destitution Food Project
• This is open to all refugees but they must bring documentary evidence that their UKBA support has been stopped
• We aim to offer a choice of food to the value of about £10.00. We work in conjunction with British Red Cross, Oldham Baptist Church, other local faith groups and individuals. The Red Cross usually provide the cost of a bus day ticket to cover travel costs, money for toiletries.
• Provide basic advice on a wide range of matters including health issues, how to liaise with Dallas Court, tracing relatives, getting access to the Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture and contacting the Identity and Passport Service to seek further help.
• A mental health support worker from MIND attends some sessions
• We are able to offer clothes and small household items to everyone, but we are dependent on people donating goods.
The Legal Fund
The legal fund / advice desk look through the paper work connected with appeals and signpost people to organisations that might be able to provide appropriate support. Sometimes expenses may be paid for travel to Liverpool UKBA, or to a solicitor whose office is outside Greater Manchester.
- Destitute Asylum Seekers/Refugees in receipt of proof of no support
- Provision for AS&R
- Yes including failed asylum seekers
- Language provision
- Dependent on volunteers available on the day
Act now to avoid a local lockdown
We need you to act NOW. If everyone makes these small changes we can avoid a second lockdown. Stop meeting people outside your household. Wear a mask. Stop having visitors.Latest information and advice