Home Improve Loan
If you are a homeowner on a low income, you may be able to use some of the value in your home for essential repairs and improvements.
You wont have to pay the loan back until you sell the house or change the ownership details.
The loan is paid directly to the contractor who carries out the work.
You are likely to qualify for the loan if:
- You are a homeowner who can't afford urgent repairs or improvements
- You have owned your home for at least 12 months
- Your home is worth more than the outstanding amount on your mortgage, or you own your home outright with no mortgage
What is it for?
The loan is for essential improvements or repairs only.
- Damp proof course
- Works to repair structural problems
- Replacement windows and doors
- New drainage, pipe work or guttering
- Electrical rewires
- Alterations to central heating system
How does it work?
The loan is registered as a percentage against the value of your property.
The loan will be registered as a legal charge against your home (like a mortgage).
If you never sell or change the ownership details the loan will be paid out of your estate when you pass away.
You may feel the need to check that the loan is suitable for you if you might like to move home in the future, or if you want your family to inherit it. If in doubt, please seek independent financial advice.
If your home is worth £100,000, and the amount of the loan comes to £5,000, this is 5% of the property value.
When you sell your house or change the ownership details, you would pay back 5% of the new value of your home at that time.
So if house prices rise, you pay back more.
If house prices fall, you pay back less.
When you complete the form, your name will then be added to the Home Improve Loan waiting list.
When your name is reached, the Improvements Team will contact you to assess your situation and help you apply.