What to do with your unwanted bulky items
If you have unwanted bulky items, you can:
- Donate them to charity
- Drop them off at your local tip
- Swap, sell or give them away
- Book a bulky collection with us
Donate to charity
If your items are in good condition, why not give them to a local charity?
Drop them off at your local tip
If your items can’t be donated or re-used, you can take them to your local tip for free.
Swap, sell or give them away
If you don’t have transport or time, there are still lots of ways to get rid of your unwanted bulky items using websites like eBay or Freecycle.
Book a bulky collection with us
Working in partnership with the social enterprise, Bulky Bobs, we provide a collection service for large bulky items.
- Up to 3 items: £17
- Additional items: £9 each
We take bagged up fabric and small electrical items (like kettles and toasters) for free as part any paid collection.
Charges go towards the cost of collection and disposal of items that cannot be recycled.
Book and pay
There are 3 ways you can book and pay for a collection:
- Over the phone using a credit/debit card: 0161 770 6644
- Use the freephone at a library using cash or credit/debit card: Find a library
- At Moorhey Street depot using cash or a cheque (if cash, please bring correct change): Moorhey Street, Oldham, OL4 1JF
Picking up items
Items can be collected from:
- Inside your house, as long as you are at home to let us in.
- Outside of your house e.g. front or back garden (please make sure access is possible)
- We can also collect things from your garage or shed but only if you are at home to let us in.
Items must be:
- Accessible when we arrive to collect them
- Clean and neatly presented
- Dry and covered (if possible)
- Clearly identifiable
- Only those described at the time of booking.
Please note, we cannot give refunds for non-collection if these conditions are not met.
We can collect:
- Electrical items
- Cooker, counter-top
- Cooker hood
- Dryers (spin, tumble)
- Freezers (free standing, chest, table top, under-counter)
- Fridges (free standing, table top, under-counter)
- Fridge freezer
- IT equipment
- Power tools
- Small electrical items (eg kettles, toasters)
- Washing machine
- Carpet roll (1 room = 1 item) Cut and rolled into 4 foot strips and placed in an open black bag
- Underlay roll (1 room = 1 item) Cut and rolled into 4 foot strips and placed in an open black bag
- Laminated floor (1 room = 1 item)
- Bed (bases, mattresses, headboards and complete sets)
- Bed settee
- Bedside cabinet (2 pieces = 1 item)
- Chairs (armchair, computer, fireside, recliner, highchair, stools)
- Chaise longue
- Chest of drawers
- Clothes rail
- Cocktail bar
- Coffee table
- Corner settee set (1 item)
- Display cabinet
- Dressing table
- Lounge suites
- Paper rack
- Plant pot stands
- Pool table
- Rocking horse
- Table and chairs sets (1 item)
- Tables (nested, dining room, occasional)
We can't collect:
- Bags of miscellaneous items
- Builders waste
- Cylinders (gas)
- Domestic refuse
- Fixtures and fittings (units, doors, windows, bathroom/kitchen suites etc)
- Garden waste
- House clearances (more than 5 items)
- Liquids or hazardous waste
- Sun beds
Who are Bulky Bobs?
Bulky Bobs are an award-winning social enterprise who aim to re-use, recycle and refurbish at least 25% by tonnage of the items they collect.
Thousands of items of furniture picked up by the crews are made available to families on low income.