Primary teaching in Oldham
Oldham is a forward looking Children's Services Authority which firmly believes in the importance of an exciting model of education through first hand experience, and is committed to high levels of pupil achievement and quality in the classroom.
Oldham places great importance on caring and developing our teachers and there are excellent opportunities for career progression.
Oldham has 100 primary schools and is proud that a number of the schools have achieved Beacon Status in a range of subjects several have now become Leading Edge Schools. These range from small village schools to large urban schools. Oldham is a multicultural borough and its pupils are prepared for a life in a multicultural society.
Oldham recognises the essential role of parents in the education of their children and has a positive policy of parental involvement in schools. Parents will be welcomed and encouraged to participate in many aspects of school life. We believe that children should be active learners being allowed to explore and express their own ideas.
Join the Primary Pool
Oldham operates a Primary Pool Scheme from which all head teachers have access to information on applicants.
The Primary Pool system encourages and welcomes applications from newly qualified teachers who would like to work in any type of Oldham school.
The Primary Pool is open for applications during December and January.
Why become a primary teacher in Oldham?
- Wide choice of type of school
- Excellent induction programme
- Stimulating and attractive classroom environments
- High quality teaching and assessment for learning
- Well-resourced schools
- Opportunity to work with a culturally diverse community
- Professional Development programme is available in your second year
- Good promotion opportunities
- We guarantee you our commitment to your personal development
- Excellent track record in building new schools
- Exciting opportunities for networking with colleagues in other schools
- Exciting School Improvement Projects based on current educational research
- Strong partnership links between the schools and the council
- Opportunity to visit and observe outstanding practitioners
- Commitment to lifelong learning
- Private affordable housing is available if you come to teach in Oldham
- Oldham is committed to inclusion meeting the needs of all its pupils
- Stimulating School Linking Projects to promote cultural diversity with a strong and committed focus on community cohesion
- Education Action Zone
- New City Learning Centre with the state of the art multi media facilities
St. Chad’s CE Saddleworth
Oldham, OL3 6EE