Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of Council Tax owing in the meantime.
If your appeal is successful, you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.
Appeal payment of Council Tax
You can appeal payment of Council Tax if you feel that:
- Your property should not be subject to a Council Tax charge
- You should not be liable to pay a Council Tax bill
- You think the calculation of the charge is wrong
You must appeal in writing to the Exchequer Division.
Appeal your valuation band
You can challenge your banding in these circumstances:
- After demolition/part demolition
- Conversion of houses to flats
- Physical changes in locality affecting values
- A change in the domestic use of a composite property
And within 6 months of:
- A band change to your property by the Listing Officer
- A band change to a similar property to yours made by the Valuation Tribunal or the High Court
- Becoming a new taxpayer
If you have a query about your Council Tax banding contact the Manchester Valuation Office Agency.
Manchester, M1 3LD