What does Council Tax pay for?

What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is a property-based tax, with a personal element.

The basis of the tax is that a property is occupied by two adult residents. In such a case, half the tax will relate to the property element and half to the personal element.

Oldham Council collects Council Tax for its own purposes and also on behalf of Saddleworth and Shaw & Crompton Parish Councils, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Greater Manchester and the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority.

It is not a direct payment for services so it must be paid whether you use the services or not.

What does it pay for in Oldham?

The Oldham Council element of your Council Tax helps to pay for services we provide throughout the borough, like:

  • Protecting and supporting older people and vulnerable adults
  • Protecting and supporting children and young people
  • Collecting, recycling and disposing of your rubbish
  • Maintaining roads, pavements and street lighting, and cleaning your streets
  • Running your libraries and leisure centres
  • Looking after your parks and open spaces
  • More than 500 other services including planning, trading standards, elections, cemeteries and births, marriages and deaths 

Your Council Tax also pays for levies (payments we have to make to other organisations for services) such as public transport and Greater Manchester wide projects.

A small percentage of your Council Tax is spent on repaying loans that help deliver major improvement projects. These bring a massive economic boost to the borough through new jobs, more visitors and increased consumer spending.

Together regeneration projects at The Old Town Hall, Prince’s Gate at Oldham Mumps, Coliseum Theatre and Heritage Centre, Hotel Future and Oldham Leisure Centre will bring:

  • 1,287 permanent jobs
  • 618 construction jobs
  • An estimated £37 million boost to the local economy each year

Separate elements of your Council Tax also contribute towards the services provided by:

  • The Police and Crime Commissioner for Greater Manchester
  • The Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority

Detailed information

Council Tax Team
Access Oldham
Level 4, Civic Centre
West Street
Oldham, OL1 1UG
Tel 0161 770 6622