Settlement checking

If you are applying for settlement in the UK on form SET (M) the Settlement Checking Service can help you.

The service will make sure that your:

  • Application form is completed
  • Supporting documents are included
  • Fees are paid
  • Copies are certified and returned to you
  • Passports - you and your dependents' travel documents are checked and retained so that the UK Border Agency can insert a permit

Documents will be despatched to the UK Border Agency via secure mail.

Who can use the Settlement Checking Service?

You can only use the Settlement Checking Service if you are applying on form SET (M) for settlement in the UK as the husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a British citizen or someone who is settled here.

You cannot use the service or apply using a SET (M) form if you are a European Economic Area (EEA) National.

You can find further advice about how to apply for residence on the UK Border Agency website ( or contact EEA Residency Enquiries on 0845 010 5200.

Make an appointment

To use the Settlement Checking Service you must book an appointment, by contacting the Oldham Register Office.

You must book an appointment before your current leave expires.

You will not be able to attend an appointment more than 28 days before the end of your ‘two year probationary period’.

Two year probationary period

If you have an entry clearance visa (issued abroad) the two year probationary period starts from the date your visa was stamped, by the Immigration Officer, when you entered the UK.

If you have a residence permit or a biometric residence permit the two year probationary period starts from when you were granted two years leave as a spouse or partner (even if you previously had leave in another category, for example as a student).

What to bring to the appointment

You must bring:

  • A completed SET (M) application form (either the form you have completed online and printed or the form you have printed first and then completed by hand). (Application to settle in the UK - website)
  • Your knowledge of life-pass notification or English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) certificate and college letter.
  • The supporting documents requested in the SET (M) application form and guidance notes.
  • If you completed the SET (M) application form on line, you must bring the confirmation that you have paid the UK Border Agency.
  • If you completed the SET (M) application form by hand you must complete your credit or debit card details on the form, or bring a cheque or postal order.
  • Your spouse/partner must attend your appointment with you. If you have dependant children (under 18) they do not have attend.

Can migrants use the settlement checking service before attending a Public Enquiry Office?

You may decide to apply in person at a UK Border Agency Public Enquiry Office (PEO) where you can pay for a premium service.

The Settlement Checking Service is available as part of the premium service.


The fee is £85 per application plus £12 for each dependent on the application.

The Settlement Checking Service fee is in addition to the SET (M) application fee charged by the UK Border Agency.

Advice about settlement in the UK

The local authority officers will not be able to provide advice on settlement matters.

If you require advice you can contact the Immigration Enquiry Bureau.

  • Phone: 0870 606 7766

Lines are open from 9:00am until 4:45pm, Monday to Thursday and 9:00am until 4:30pm on Friday (excluding public holidays).

Settlement advice can also be found on the UK Border Agency.

Oldham Register Office
Chadderton Town Hall
Middleton Road
Oldham, OL9 6PP
Tel 0161 770 8960
Fax 0161 770 3729