Care Act 2014: Care and support is changing in Oldham

Care and support

‘Care and support’ is the term used to describe the help some adults need to live as well and as independently as possible with any illness or disability they may have. It can include help with things like getting out of bed, washing, dressing, getting to work, cooking meals, eating, seeing friends, caring for families and being part of the community. 

What is changing?

  • New national eligibility criteria to access care and support 
  • New support for carers
  • Universal deferred payment agreements to help manage care costs

Needs and Eligibility

For the first time, there will be a national set of rules about who can get help with their care and support needs which all Councils must use.

Even if you’re not eligible for care and support from the Council, we may be able to provide information or advice about what other assistance might be available within your local community to support your wellbeing and help you remain independent for longer.

New support for carers 

In England, millions of people provide unpaid care or support to an adult family member or friend, either in their own home or somewhere else. ‘Caring’ for someone covers lots of different things, like helping with their washing, dressing or eating, taking them to regular appointments or keeping them company when they feel lonely or anxious. 

In Oldham there are an estimated 23,000 people providing unpaid care and support to another adult. From April 2015, carers will be entitled to their own assessments to see if they are eligible for support to help them to carry on caring whilst looking after their own wellbeing.

Oldham already offers carer’s assessments and provides a range of support, which is currently being reviewed to make sure it meets the Council’s duties under the Care Act.

Deferred Payment Agreements

Deferred payment agreements are available across England. 

This means that people should not have to sell their homes within their lifetime to pay for their care home costs.

A deferred payment agreement is effectively a loan arrangement with the council that will let some people use the value of their homes to pay for the cost of their care. If you are eligible, we will help to pay the care home bills on your behalf. You can delay repaying us until you choose to sell your home, or until after your death. 

From April 2016

More changes to the way people pay for care and support will be introduced in 2016. These are intended to protect people with the highest needs from facing unlimited care costs.

Changes include:

  • A lifetime cap on care costs 
  • The amount of capital (or savings) taken into account when working out what you must pay towards your care costs will be increased

Care Act 2014