Top Awards 2016
We are extremely proud of our employees at Oldham Council. Delivering timely and efficient services would not be possible without the dedication and commitment of our people.
That is why we have the 'Top Awards' - an annual staff award and recognition scheme which allows us to express our gratitude and celebrate outstanding efforts of our staff who are working with a resident focus every single day.
The scheme helps us to identify and celebrate those staff from Oldham Council, Oldham Care and Support, Unity Partnership, Oldham Community Leisure (OCL) and Oldham schools who best represent our values and behaviours. It recognises and rewards individual staff and teams.
There are six awards and each award has its own criteria. Nominations need to show how the person or team has met the criteria and do not necessarily need to be for large ground breaking projects. We are looking for good stories where someone's work has really made a difference to the lives or experiences of Oldham residents or other staff members.
Behaviours and Values
- Fairness - We will champion fairness and equality of opportunity, and ensure working together brings mutual benefits and the greatest possible added value. We will enable everyone to be involved.
- Openness - We will be open and honest in our actions and communications. We will take decisions in a transparent way and at the most local level possible.
- Responsibility - We take responsibility for, and answer to our actions. We will encourage people to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. Mutual benefits go hand-in-hand with mutual obligations.
- Working together - We will work together and support each other in achieving common goals, making sure the environment is in place for self-help.
- Accountability - We recognise and act upon the impact of our actions on others, and hold ourselves accountable to our stakeholders.
- Respect - We recognise and welcome different views and treat each other with dignity and respect.
- Democracy - We believe and act within the principles of democracy, and promote these across the borough.
- Work with a resident focus
- Support Local Leaders
- Committed to the Borough
- Take ownership and drive change
- Deliver high performance
Employee of the Year
The Employee of the Year Award celebrates the important contributions employees make to provide a cooperative service to our residents and communities. The award showcases employee contributions against the council values and behaviours.
- Thinks of others and the needs of residents before thinking of self
- Demonstrates a commitment to leading and living the council values and behaviours
- Demonstrates clear achievements and outstanding performance
- Sets a good example and is a positive role model for other employees
Front Line Services Award
is a new category which celebrates the work of our staff at the front line of
our organisation. The award should reflect your experience when dealing with a
member of our front line services. It need not fully reflect our values and
behaviours but must demonstrate the difference you feel they have made to your
or your community.
- ·Shows commitment to their role
- Willing to go over and above for our residents
- Thinks of the needs of our residents
- Makes a difference to your or your community
Leader of the Year
Nominees in this category will have demonstrated several of the following examples of exceptional leadership but may not necessarily be a team leader or a manager as part of their job role.
- Creates a compelling vision of the council values and behaviours and helps other understand their role in achieving them
- Motivates and inspires the people around them to accomplish more than they would have normally
- Inspires a high level of commitment from others when taking on new initiatives
- Leads through example and maintains high personal standards.
Team of the Year
Nominees for team of the year will have demonstrated several of the following examples of exceptional team work.
- Team members show a true team spirit
- They demonstrate their ability to deliver excellent service through working together effectively and efficiently
- The team share the council values and behaviours and achieve success together
- They positively seek to achieve close working relationships with other sections, departments and external organisations
Volunteer of the Year
The Volunteer of the Year Award is for individuals or groups who are employees of the council or its partners who make an outstanding contribution to people and communities through volunteering.
- Volunteers who go above and beyond to give their time, inside and/or outside of work
- Those who have provided an exceptional contribution as a volunteer
- Those who have shown outstanding commitment to their role as a volunteer
- Someone who has built strong relationships and links with clubs, schools and/or other community organisations
Young Employee of the Year
This award will go to an outstanding employee under the age of 25 who works for the council or one of its partners. They will demonstrate several of the following behaviours.
- Shows dedication to leading and living the council values and behaviours
- Displays enthusiasm in carrying out their responsibilities
- Shown willingness to learn and to take on extra duties
- Outstanding contribution to the workforce
We ask you as a resident and user of our services to nominate individuals or teams who you feel deserve recognition for their hard work and dedication. Someone who may have just gone that extra mile to make sure you, or someone you know, received an exceptional service.
And don't forget all the staff who work behind the scenes in operational and support functions to ensure that services run smoothly for residents and the borough.
Nominations can be made all throughout the year up until 30 September. Once a nomination is received it will automatically be put forward to the first round of reviews.
You can nominate a member of staff or team for the award by completing a the nomination form, outlining the reasons why you feel they are such a great example of our cooperative values and behaviours.
Nominations can be made by residents, colleagues or partner organisations. The awards are made annually, with nominations reviewed monthly. All nominations must be received by 30 September 2016.
- Make a nomination (online form)
All nominations received will be reviewed by our Directorate Management Teams on a monthly basis, these will be judged and successful nominations put forward to the final shortlisting panel in October.
Final shortlisting will take place in October and a panel will be put together from volunteers consisting of staff from across the council, Oldham Care and Support, Unity Partnership, OCL and schools.
The awards ceremony
Each winner will receive a trophy and a certificate from our Chief Executive at our annual awards ceremony in January 2017.
Our annual awards ceremony is supported and sponsored by our partners and local businesses.
If you would like to sponsor the 2016 event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on the packages available.